Arrowhead Regional Medical Center will provide interpreters for deaf patients and their companions to ensure quality care
You are here
DRLC seeks a dynamic and motivated attorney with outstanding academic and professional credentials to hold the position of Kirkland & Ellis Justice Fellow. The Fellow will work with DRLC staff attorneys, law student interns, and pro bono attorneys in providing representation to persons with disabilities in legal matters, including impact litigation.
The fellow will also engage in outreach to legal organizations, service providers, and other attorneys in order to facilitate meaningful referrals for callers and educate the community about DRLC's services.
J.D., admitted to practice in California. 1-5 years litigation experience, which should include undertaking factual investigation into potential cases, conducting legal research to develop legal claims, propounding and responding to written discovery, taking and defending depositions, writing briefs, preparing for and participating in settlement negotiations, and implementing settlement agreements or consent decrees. Knowledge of Disability Rights Law strongly preferred. Demonstrated commitment to public interest advocacy. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to multitask, prioritize tasks, work independently and as a part of a team.
To apply please send a cover letter, resume, three references, and a list of major cases you have worked with a description of your role in each to Luis Gomez, Executive Assistant at Luis.Gomez@drlc.lls.edu.
Cancer Legal Resource Center (CLRC), a program of the Disability Rights Legal Center, seeks a full-time Staff Attorney. The CLRC is an essential resource for people coping with cancer, providing information and resources on cancer-related legal issues. The CLRC assists patients understand and navigate a complex array of legal issues that may arise as a result of a cancer diagnosis, including issues pertaining to employment, insurance, government benefits, estate planning, and end of life care planning.
CLRC Staff Attorney responsibilities include:
- coordinating and conducting training and outreach on cancer-related legal issues to cancer patients and survivors, health care professionals, caregivers, employers and other identified populations;
- conducting intakes with callers, providing information, education, resources, and referrals; supervise and work with law students and volunteers;
- developing written training materials and publications on cancer-related legal issues;
- assisting in the recruitment of attorneys and other professionals for the CLRC’s Professional Panel and developing general resources to assist CLRC callers throughout the U.S.;
- participating in collaborative efforts and coalitions within the cancer, health, and legal communities;
- participating in the organization’s advocacy efforts;
- developing and maintaining files of resources and contacts;
- preparing reports, correspondence, and other documents as needed;
- some traveling, both local and out of state;
- and performing other duties as assigned to further the mission of the DRLC.
- J.D. degree and active California State Bar membership, or have temporary eligibility to practice law as a registered legal services attorney pursuant to Cal. Rule of Court 964 with the intention of taking the California Bar within a year.
- 4+ years of experience in disability rights law, public interest law, employment, or insurance law preferred.
- Personal experience with cancer or other disabilities preferred.
- Bilingual fluency in English/Spanish is required.
- Superior academic credentials.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptionally organized, conscientious, self-motivated, solution oriented with good analytical skills.
- Ability to explain issues and programs and the ability to recognize underlying issues and unspoken concerns.
- Ability to multi-task, work independently, and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Computer literacy – familiarity with Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Time Matters, Lexis, and Westlaw.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and 3 references to Luis Gomez at Luis.Gomez@drlcenter.org. Please state in the subject line: CLRC Staff Attorney, [Your Name]
Position open until filled.